Dental Accident or Broken Tooth While Traveling

Nearly every summer here in Cleveland/Northeastern Ohio, we will get a call from a parent or spouse that their child had an accident at camp or around the house resulting in a fractured/chipped tooth. They then ask the question “What should we do?”

I want you to know that we are always on call for you and your family, which is why we use “Answering Cleveland” as our answering service, rather than an answering machine. Answering Cleveland will call me wherever I am, and we will respond as quickly as possible. If it is during the practice day, we will get you in as soon as possible that same day.

When an accident happens when you or your family is out of town, we will do our best to get you to someone in your area, often with the help of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), of which I am a longstanding member. In this and other instances, we have used both “Skype” and “Facetime” for me to evaluate the situation and “triage” it. (What a great world we live in!!!).

Obviously, prevention of these accidents is of primary importance and can be accomplished through the use of a mouthguard which we can fabricate accurately here. If something has already happened, composite bonding or the use of a porcelain crown or veneer can usually take care of the problem. Please call Karin at 440-461-1003 if you have any questions.